Monday, October 16, 2006

don't lose touch

Originally posted October 16, 2006

Carpe Diem. In latin it translates as "Seize the Day." I wonder how many people outside the Terminal Cancer Wing of a hospital actually take that saying to heart and live it to it's truest meaning. Another popular phrase is "Make Someday - Today." I used to talk with one of my friends about how if I added up every memory I have, in all the eighteen plus years I have been on this earth, that it would only amount to maybe a little more than a two or three months. How easily I have been inspired in the past to seize the day and do something worth remembering and smiling or crying about later.

On each of my birthdays I take a year-long stroll down memory lane to see what I have accomplished and what I have overcome. What strikes me as sad is that I can only compile maybe a few weeks of memories. How badly I want to go back in time and re-write my own personal biography to make my life more interesting and meaningful.

I've also heard of a saying that went something like don't contemplate on the past, it's over and done with - live only for today and live it to the fullest. How I would love to practice what I preach, and how I would love to say something I didn't say, or do something I didn't do.

We are formed and defined by what we do and what we didn't do. I commonly tell me friends who are struggling with relationships to always keep in mind that more often than not people believe they are doing what they feel is right. No one can help how they feel, and to get upset at someone for how they feel won't really accomplish anything. People can't help how they feel and how they feel influences how that act. Always keep this in mind when in a relationship and don't hold it against them.

Everything always works out for the best. Not one thing in my life, no matter how horrible it seemed, has turned out for the worst. Sure, I miss some things more than life itself, but you jut always got to keep in mind that God knows best. The only thing I can ask for is patience to see it through, and for strength to accept it. That's all. Nothing else.

Moral of the Post: Be yourself. After that, all you gotta do is not look back.

No comments: